L4FA Summer Art 2021
Pattern Design Project
7/15/21 Class Notes & Homework
What is a PATTERN?
A pattern is a design that REPEATS.
We can make patterns using:
(E) Combine 2 or more of the above
Here are some examples:
(A) Patterns using LINES:
(B) Patterns using SHAPES:
(C) Patterns using OBJECTS/ANIMALS/PLANTS:
(D) Patterns using WORDS:
(D) Patterns using a combination of the above:
2. Design a different pattern in each box. Consider the following as you design:
(I) Background - 1 Color
- Layer 2 to 3 colors lightly
- Gradient (2 colors meeting in the middle)
(II) Pattern - Lines
- Objects / Animals / Plants
(III) Colors - Same color (different shade and pressure)
- Complementary Colors (opposite)
- Analogous Colors (Side by side)
Homework: 6 Pattern Designs
1. Take one sheet of colored pencil paper and divide it into 6 boxes.
3. Pick 2 favorite patterns and put a small check mark on the side.
4. Scan or take a picture with good lighting. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org or wechat.